Friday, September 24, 2010
In preparation for my upcoming trip to California for Blizzcon, I finally got a new camera. Initially I wanted a DSLR, but the budget wouldn't allow it and that would have been too big/bulky for practical everyday use. Sooo, I opted for a higher quality point and shoot. Introducing my Canon PowerShot SX20 IS! Steph and I took a walk this morning and took some pictures along the way. I like the quality of the pictures but next time I would probably use a lens hood. I love it so far and hope it will prove to be a good investment.
Apparently Steph is awesome with the concepts of nuclear engineering, but terrible with time-lines. He said we would be finding out orders mid November, but has since changed that story to early/mid October. Should everything go as planned he will graduate from NPTU on November 12th!
Friday, July 23, 2010
It recently dawned on me that our 1 year wedding anniversary is coming up in 2 weeks! Has it really been a year already? I feel like I just got married and moved to Charleston. Some random thoughts....
Stephen has been doing really well in school. 7 weeks ago he started Prototype, which is the final phase of school before he finishes and goes out in the fleet. To be honest, I am extremely nervous about several things.
1. We put in our "wishlist" of bases we would like to be stationed at.
First: Norfolk, VA.
Second: Kings Bay, GA.
Third: Groton, CT
Fourth: San Diego, CA
Fifth: Some random town, WA
I have my heart set on getting stationed in Virginia. All our friends and family are there, an awesome support group for while he is deployed. The thought of getting stationed in any of those other places is terrifying. I don't know many people here in Charleston, but it's okay because Stephen is still around every day. What would I do in a new place with him deployed?!?!
2. IF we get stationed in Virginia, we want to buy a house. The possibility of home ownership blows my mind. I've secretly been looking at the MLS at houses for sale. This is a bad idea! I know the houses I'm falling in love with over the internet are most likely not going to be for sale by the time we get orders. (we SHOULD find out where we will be getting stationed in November, 4 weeks before he graduates)
3. College (or some equivalent). Once we get stationed wherever the Navy feels like putting us, I'm going to go back to school. The question is: FOR WHAT!? I've been having this internal debate over what I want to do with my life, and I still feel as clueless as I did when I graduated high school 4 years ago! I've considered nursing, dental assisting, physical therapy.... portable careers that are in high demand no matter where we get stationed, but I'm not sure if I'd be happy doing any of those things. Do I need to be happy with my career choice? I would LOVE to pursue photography, but how useful will that be? Would I even be able to find a good paying job? I feel like if I put off my decision any longer I'll lose the motivation to get schooling done completely, and I don't want to work at Brusters forever (even though the perks of free ice cream are amazing!)
As the future looms ahead, I'm thankful to have such a wonderful husband who supports me regardless of all my fears and insecurities. I am looking forward to see what another year has to bring for us.
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
I'm really happy with the way 2009 turned out. It was, quite possibly, the best year of my life. I married the man of my dreams, moved to Charleston and started a new adventure! Looking to the future, I've made some well thought-out resolutions.
1. Try not to get upset over the little things.
2. Be more social, meet new people!
3. Get Chuchi and Casey to get along, or at least tolerate each other.
4. Save more money.
5. Sing and sew more often.
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Steph showing off his SUMO SKILLz.
Crazy tube man!
So, on 9/11/09, the NNPTC (Naval Nuclear Power Training Command) threw a lil' picnic thingy for all the students and staff. Can anyone say free food? Of course we were all over that. I was expecting hamburgers and hot dogs, but was not expecting a crazy tube man, sumo wrestling, jumbo blow up obstacle course, or american gladiator fighting. All in all it was really fun.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
I'm having a difficult time adjusting to weather, dare I say it? MORE add than Virginia. It rains almost every single day. One moment it's sunny and beautiful then 2 seconds later there are black ugly clouds everywhere and its pouring! However this does give me a valid excuse to stay indoors as much as possible so it's not all bad :o)